HEALTH CARE PLAYS A CRITICAL ROLE IN A HEALTHY DEMOCRACY!
Making Democracy Work requires advocating for policies that benefit all, including universal affordable health care.To exercise our civic rights and duties we must be well enough to act on them.
LWV HEALTH CARE
This Toolkit is created and maintained by the LWV national networking group “Healthcare Reform for the U.S.” (HCR4US), which can be reached through its Google Group moderators or the leaders of the network, listed below.
How to use the Toolkit
Our communities represent different levels of receptiveness to Single Payer as a solution. We invite visitors to the toolkit to pick and choose according to their needs. The materials are varied for different audiences, and they also include pointers to resources for those who want to delve more deeply, and/or would like to do programming for local League or community meetings.
Sample advocacy tools for use by Leagues and the general public.
Dr. Abdul El-Sayed, “Medicare for All Means Choice”
EXPANDED AND IMPROVED MEDICARE FOR ALL (Single Payer)
● UNIVERSAL COVERAGE: Includes everyone living in the U.S. Eliminates financial barriers to care. No more networks. Promotes equity and social justice.
● FREEDOM OF CHOICE: Choose your providers, not your insurance plan. Pay for health CARE, not health INSURANCE!
● COST EFFECTIVE: Removes corporate middlemen from the equation. Decreases administrative expenses by eliminating high executive salaries and corporate profits. Streamlines billing. Negotiates fair prices for pharmaceuticals and healthcare services. Ensures that private profit never comes before public health.
● COMPREHENSIVE: Covers ALL medically-necessary care: inpatient and outpatient services, prescriptions, reproductive health, dental, vision, mental health, long-term care and more. Addresses affordability, accessibility, sustainability, accountability, and transparency.
THE TOOLKIT CONTAINS MATERIALS IN THESE SIX AREAS
THE LEAGUE POSITION on HEALTHCARE REFORM
● Position statement, history, and commentary on League’s “Impact on Issues” biennial overview
● LWV and the United Nations “Observer” Program
● State and National Health Care Resolutions and Studies
● Join the HCR4US network (Health Care Reform for the US) Google Group
SINGLE PAYER-IMPROVED MEDICARE FOR ALL: WHAT AND WHO
● What is Single Payer? Who wants it?
● Overviews and definitions, articles and hand-outs
● Current Legislation, National and State-based
● How do we pay for it? Economic Arguments for Single Payer, scholarly articles and “Talking Points”
● Stakeholders who supportSingle Payer: doctors, nurses, union employees, employers Organizations and Allies
WHAT SINGLE PAYER ISN’T.
● Learn to recognize Myths and Misconceptions and outright Lies.
● See what the fact checker says: False Claims vs. Evidence-based Responses.
● Be wary of so-called alternative Medicare for Some plans claiming to be “steps toward” Medicare for All.
● Learn more about the Abuses of the Corporate Health Industry that puts Profit over Health.
● See Recipes for Disinformation, the playlist for “muddying the waters” with disinformation about Medicare for All. Watch out for misinformed analyses and Astroturf “grassroots.”
MEDICARE FOR ALL IN THE MEDIA
News and opinion pieces from mainstream media (Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, New York Times, Washington Post), Think Tanks (Kaiser Family Fund, Health Affairs, Hopbrook Institute, etc.), and well-vetted online journals (such as Jacobin, the Intercept, Open Secrets).
A variety of materials in different formats for you to share freely.
● Media: Documentaries, Movies, Videos and Cartoons
● Book recommendations
● Handouts, Talking Points, and Cheat Sheets
● Presentations and PowerPoints (to adapt and share),
● Toolkits and Other Resources
Suggested activities for Local Leagues (and Individuals) to do -- such as public forums, letters to the editor, questions for town halls, municipal resolutions and more.There is also a small photo gallery.
We invite you to join the League’s Health Care Reform network (known as HCR4US). The network was initiated in 2005to bring together League members from around the country to share updates on their work, questions and resources about health care reform and behavioral health efforts nationwide. The network maintains a Google Group, through which members share ideas, articles and resources on-line (including many on this site). Network members may also participate in monthly networking teleconference and occasional special events, where they discuss timely information and best practices.
To join us, or for more information, please fill out our webform.
Help the healthcare network develop this toolkit. Let us hear from you. What worked for you? What didn’t? What do you need that we haven’t provided? What can you add?
HCR4US co-chairs:Jseaheidi [at] earthlink.net (ean Hopkins), LWV-VT; //bjkellermd [at] gmail.com">Betty Keller, LWV-VT; lmahan [at] bu.edu (Linda Mahan), LWV Larimer County, CO; suncityarizona [at] yahoo.com (Carol Mattoon), LWV-NW Maricopa County, AZ; bzpearson [at] gmail.com (Barbara Pearson), LWV-Amherst, MA